Organizational Description: Founded in 1972, the Chinese Progressive Association (CPA) is a grassroots membership-based organization that empowers the Chinese community in San Francisco and promotes justice and equality for all people. CPA’s campaigns and programs improve the living and working conditions of working class immigrants and give ordinary community members a stronger voice in the decision-making processes that affect them. Our core strategies are community education and organizing, leadership development and alliance building.
Position Overview: The Worker Services Coordinator supports and implements the ongoing community-based service programs for Chinese-speaking immigrant workers and tenants in San Francisco Bay Area. CPA provides a set of strategic services for the community as part of an empowerment and organizing program. This position reports to the Organizing Director.
- Coordinate and assist with reception duties to greet community members, assess their needs and direct them accordingly, and document the follow-up needed.
- Coordinate and conduct individual or group meetings with low-wage workers experiencing workplace issues and manage cases, including documenting and filing legal claims
- Coordinate and help implement community outreach and education activities related to workers and tenant rights, including planning and facilitating educational workshops, conducting street outreach, and developing outreach materials
- Coordinate and conduct recruitment of community members to community programs, events and actions, including phone calls, in-person meetings and use of social media.
- Provide individual case management services to grassroots members (such as assisting with housing and job applications, helping refer to and navigate needed services)
- Translate written materials, accompany Chinese-speaking members to activities and events and provide interpretation
- Organize community-building events and activities
- Document work, organize and maintain records and files, and file regular reports
- This position may also include spending time on organizational-wide (such as electoral campaigns) and fundraising tasks as determined by organizational priorities and your supervisor.
· Bilingual and bi-literate in English and Cantonese required, trilingual in Mandarin preferred
· Excellent communication, and “people” skills
· Ability to connect with and work effectively with working-class Chinese immigrants
· Excellent organizational skills
· Good team player and problem-solver
· Can work effectively independently and as part of a team
· Flexibility to work some evenings and weekends
· Commitment to social, economic and environmental justice, bottom-up social change and building social movements preferred
· Good computer skills including strong proficiency in Excel and Word. InDesign, Photoshop and database experience a plus.
· Knowledge of and/or Experience working with Chinese immigrant community preferred
Employment Terms: Full-time, non-exempt.
Salary and Benefits: $40,000 - $45,000 per year with benefits.
How to Apply
Please submit applications by . Applications will be reviewed as received.
Send resume and cover letter to:
Le Tim Ly
Email: email@example.com. Subject Line should refer to job title. PDFs preferred.
Chinese Progressive Association is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, immigrants, youth, LGBT and differently-abled people are encouraged to apply.