updated September 2016
Community Organizer (Full-Time)
Founded in 1972, the Chinese Progressive Association - San Francisco (CPA) is a grassroots membership-based organization that empowers the Chinese community in San Francisco and promotes justice and equality for all people. CPA’s campaigns and programs improve the working and living conditions of low-income immigrants and mobilize community members to have a stronger voice in policies and decisions that affect their lives. Our core strategies are organizing, leadership development, and alliance building.
Join the dynamic staff at CPA as a Community Organizer with the Tenant Worker Center, where you will organize and empower Chinese immigrants to fight for justice and build a vibrant movement for social justice centered on the experiences of working-class immigrant communities. Additionally, you will work with staff to develop the future direction of Chinese immigrant worker organizing through strategic campaigns.
As a Community Organizer with CPA, you will be responsible for part of CPA’s Tenant and Worker Center’s membership and base-building, leadership development, strategic services, and alliance work. The work requires extensive collaboration with other CPA staff, member leaders, and allies. This position is supervised by the Organizing Director.
The ideal candidate is a passionate, skilled and creative organizer; bilingual and bicultural; a self-starter and great team player with a long-term commitment to the social justice movement.
Key Leadership Roles and Responsibilities
- Support and/or lead the development and strategic direction of CPA’s worker organizing (depending on experience)
- Support TWC campaigns, including outreach, mobilization, and campaign strategy
- Support and/or lead alliance work with CPA’s allies in labor unions and community worker centers
Joint Leadership Roles and Responsibilities Shared with Tenant Worker Center Team
- Actively participate in CPA organizational campaigns, activities, and strategy discussions
- Develop the leadership of members, including:
- Recruit community members to participate in CPA campaigns and activities
- Build 1-on-1 relationships with member leaders
- Develop and implement leadership goals, plans, and accountability
- Support and organize member leaders to participate and lead campaigns
- Conduct Political education and organize community-building events
- Support CPA’s wage clinic and other service provision to the community
- Coordinate and help implement strategic services to community for workers rights intake, vocational training program, etc.
- Conduct workers rights consultations with workers experiencing wage theft and other labor violations
- Plan and conduct outreach workshops and activities
- Support other CPA campaigns, programs and organization-wide activities as needed
- This position may also include spending time on organizational-wide (such as electoral campaigns) and fundraising tasks as determined by organizational priorities and your supervisor.
- Commitment to social, economic and environmental justice and bottom-up social change
- Knowledge of issues impacting working class Chinese immigrants in San Francisco
- Minimum 1-year previous community or union organizing and campaign experience, 2 years or more worker organizing experience preferred.
- Fluency in English and Cantonese is required, literacy in Chinese is strongly preferred
- Ability to work effectively with working class Chinese immigrants
- Experience in leadership development and education preferred
- Good team player and problem-solver
- Takes responsibility and initiative in work
- Can work effectively independently and as part of a team
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Flexibility to work some evenings and weekends
Salary & Benefits
This position is full-time, exempt, and includes competitive benefits. Salary DOE.
How to Apply
Position is open until filled. Applications will be reviewed as received. Applicants without strong Cantonese fluency will not be considered.
Send resume and cover letter to:
Le Tim Ly, Deputy Director, c/o Hiring Committee
CPA, 1042 Grant Avenue, 5 Fl.,
San Francisco, CA 94133
Chinese Progressive Association is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, immigrants, youth, LGBTQ, and differently-abled people are encouraged to apply!